Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Toast

The Toast,

The sister of the bride,

you never get back the things you say, so say something good.

I am a big fan of words, when I was younger I wanted to be a writer & I remember my Grandmas husband, Ron, giving me a tape recorder so I record things I wanted to say & write.  I save quotes, write down things people say, well lets be real I am a sentimental sap.  I just think words have so much power & we can truly make people we love feel amazing by telling them the things we feel that are good instead of always saying the things that are bad.

That being said, I photographed Joseph & Misty's wedding, their Anniversary is coming up soon & I remembered this speech that Misty's sister composed & I loved it. I asked Misty if she could send it to me because I wanted to post it on my blog.  Enjoy!

This toast was given by Kandis Caldwell,

"Good Afternoon.  I am Kandis, the very proud, little sister to our wonderful bride.  I want to start by congratulating Misty and Joseph as well as thanking all of you for being here and sharing this wonderful occasion. I know it means a lot to both of them.

Misty, thank you for giving me such a special part on this joyous day.  For those that don't know Misty well, I would like to share a few of my fondest memories.  Misty was very excited to have a baby sister.  The day I came home from the hospital, she gave me her teddy bear.  As I grew older, Misty continued to show her love by playing school - She, the teacher, and I the student.  She also tried teaching me how to read, even if that meant she had to hold me down against my will or sit on top of me.  When I was a toddler, I accidentally killed her baby ducklings.  Needless to say, Misty forgave me...Eventually...kind of.  When we were teenagers, Misty always made sure that no one made fun of me or tried to beat me up....She was the exception to her rule however.  Misty was the oldest and moved out of my parents house first.  But without a doubt, she always would send birthday presents, even if she was living out of state.

These moments show how giving, protective, determined, forgiving and thoughtful my sister is.  Joseph, I know you are away of these qualities and appreciate her for them. I think with age, Misty saw that Joseph helped her to learn to chill out and to not sweat the small stuff.  In return, Joseph saw that Misty helped him to become more responsible and more thick-skinned.  When they were reunited, they realized they made each other a better person.  As a wise married woman myself, my favorite marital advice is: The secret to a long and happy marriage is a good sense of humor and a short memory.

Misty and Joseph, as you both go through life side by side, remember to celebrate the ups, hold hands through the downs, and laugh in between.  Life is much better when you share those things together.  Always be open and never fear to communicate.  My greatest wish for you both is that through the years, your love for one another will deepen and grown.  I wish you the very best, my love to you both.

Please raise your glasses to my sister and her husband,
To Misty and Joseph
May you laugh with your whole belly,
Love with your whole heart
And live an extraordinary life together.




At the very end of the speech, Kandis hands back the teddy bear Misty had given her when she came home from the hospital.  Let me tell you for the sentimental sap that I am, I thought that was so special that she had kept it all this time. Such a meaningful speech Kandis, thank you Misty for sending this my way so I could share it.